Flirting is no easy feat. While some men have a natural flair for sweeping women off their feet, for most of them the struggle is just too real. We’d tell you what really works, if only there was a specific answer to that. What works depends on the woman in question, more often than not. The dos might be the trickier part but for now, here are the don’ts that will help you stay away from the cardinal sins of flirting, at least.
1. You know how everyone says maintaining eye contact is the first step to flirting? Yeah well, don’t go overboard. Don’t keep staring. Don’t be that creep.
2. Please, for God’s sake – NO pick up lines. None. Just go, and strike up a conversation! It shouldn’t be too hard.
3. If you meet a girl and compliment her on her moustache, humour’s clearly not gonna help you buddy. Be funny, but don’t insult her in the name of humour. No sexist jokes, definitely.
4. Stop making yourself looking like someone you’re really not. It’s anyway going to be hard for her to believe that you were quite the heart-throb in college while you piss your pants trying to make eye contact with her. Know which lies you can pull off and which ones you just can’t.
5. Do not be desperate. No guy who successfully flirted with a girl sent her requests on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, all in the same night. Ever. Do not go around liking her random pictures from 1954. Calm your t*ts.
6. Yeah we know you want her to think you’re a good listener. But don’t fake it so much that you begin to look crazy with your head on a constant vibration mode.
7. “Hey, can I buy you…” DON’T.
8. Do not show off. Nobody wants to know how many BMWs you own and how many push-ups you can do in a minute.
9. Do not get too close while talking to her. Don’t intrude her personal space. Maintain safe distance.
10. Just because she’s okay with your hand around her waist, doesn’t mean she wants to be in constant touch to know you exist. If she allows you slight touch, respect that. Do not get too touchy-feely. Unless you want her hand on your face, loud and hard.
11. Do not get her number from a mutual friend and freak her out with a surprise text at midnight. Go ask her for it yourself.
12. Do not seek her best friend’s support to convey your feelings. That just makes you look like a spineless coward. Walk up to her and do it yourself.
13. Don’t just sit there doing absolutely nothing. If she starts to flirt, respond instead of hiding your face. If she doesn’t, man up and lead! Don’t hide behind awkward silences and obligatory smiles.
14. If it’s not happening, know that it’s not. Do not force conversations. A bad conversation is way worse than no conversation at all.
15. Most importantly, know when your chance is over. Know when it is time to stop pursuing her. Don’t push it to a point where it becomes humiliating for you and annoying for her.